Older adults spending most of their time at home or who live on a fixed income should be very careful about their energy expenses. Energy expenses can burn a hole in the pocket. We are listing a few simple tips, following which can help seniors save energy as well as money. The tips can prove to be beneficial in cutting down on electricity bills.
For the best form of care for your senior loved one suffering from memory or mobility issues, it is advisable to consider going for assisted living facilities like the award-winning Anthem Senior Living in Phoenix, AZ. The levels of care offered include long term care, elder care, dementia & memory care, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and respite care. Expect for your loved one to receive high-quality assisted living Anthem care and support in the hands of our compassionate caregivers.
Implementing these ideas can help you to lower your energy expenses:
- Electronics should be turned off or unplugged when not in use, not even should be kept on standby mode as it still draws power. Visit room-by-room and identify appliances that can be unplugged. It is better to plug electronics into a power strip instead of unplugging everything which will ease the process of cutting power to all the devices at once. This will also enable to pushing the switch off with the foot without having to bend down.
- Installing motion sensor lights is a good option. There are many of them that are inexpensive, not only that, they are very easy to install. These lights are perfect for the stairways, hallways and closets. The biggest benefit of these lights is the fact that the lights come on when someone enters the room and automatically turn off when one leaves thus saving energy even if you forget to switch the lights off.
- Experts recommend using microwave or toaster oven instead of the stove or oven as the former appliances use a lot less energy. Also, replace older appliances like the refrigerator, washer or dryer with energy-efficient appliances.
- During winter months, dress in layers which will not necessitate using a thermostat thus enabling you to save money on heating costs.
- Get attic or ceiling fans installed during summer months which will remove hot air from your house reducing the need for air-conditioning. Ceiling fans have proven to lower energy costs all year-round.
- Opt for energy-efficient light bulbs, such as CFLs. Avoid going for a very powerful bulb as brightness is directly proportional to the electricity required.
- With a hot water heater, you can prevent heat loss by wrapping a thermal blanket around it. Lower the temperature to 120 degrees which will save you money alongside providing you with enough hot water.
- For laundry, use cold water instead of warm or hot water. Instead of using the dryer, hang your clothes on a clothesline. When using dryer, load clothes one after the other to reduce heat loss from the appliance.
- Your furniture or drapes shouldn’t cover vents or radiators which can block air flow. Additionally, heat-generating devices like a television shouldn’t be too close to a thermostat as it may presume the house to be warmer than it really is.
The basic utility expenses are included in the monthly fee at Anthem Senior Living apart from the many services and amenities. Keep your worries with regards to paying for heat, air conditioning, electric, and basic cable at bay by booking a suite at ASL in Phoenix.
Leave a Reply